Monday, November 28, 2011

Beauty & the Moo

I grew up on Disney movies and would watch them over & over. However, I had a favorite. Everyone in my generation had their favorite Disney movie. Every girl had that certain Disney princess that they would pretend to be. To me, Jasmine was a tramp, Ariel was an idiot, and Cinderella was boring.
My favorite and the best is Belle.

She is intelligent, beautiful, and eccentric. Finally there was a princess that didn't change her species for a man or didn't act like she was clueless. Belle was a girl who, when the jackass put the moves on her, didn't fall weak at the knees. Jasmine, Aurora, and Ariel would've loved Gaston. Just sayin'. They all fell in love with men who they had known for about 2 days.
Belle cares about her family, reads, gets to know the man she falls in love with, sings, and is "a beauty, but a funny girl." BOOYEAH.

I was always a bit eccentric, funny, weird, whichever adjective you want to use. I found it helpful that it was okay to have a role model that was kind of strange. Belle was independent and wanted adventure more than anything and the other princesses wanted an MRS degree. Maybe this is why the girls in my generation are obsessed with marriage. Perhaps their favorite Disney princesses were in the movies with misogynistic ideals. This is probably why I could never identify with stereotypical princesses.
Just Belle.
The funny one.

1 comment:

  1. I like Belle too. To think of it, she is a good role model compared to the other princesses.
    I think my favorite princess would have to be Princess Tiana though. She is spunky. My least favorite would be Snow White. Girl can not sing...just sayin.

    ReplyDelete